Saturday 24 March 2012

MOT Update

Fault Codes & Warning Lights


Firstly, I'd like to point out a mistake in my last post.  I gave instructions on how to clear the fault codes from the ECU, but these were wrong.  The instructions I gave were actually how to reset the service light!  Whilst dabbling around & trying to figure it out, I found some more fault codes including one for crank shaft position sensor.


I decided to disregard all of the codes and just reset it to see if they came back.


The procedure for resetting the codes is even easier than the service light reset.  Simply turn the ignition to position 2 & poke the probe into the section you want to reset, then press the button for at least 5 seconds.  The light will go out when you release the button, then illuminate again after a few seconds.  When it lights up, press the button again for at least 5 seconds.  The light should then go out and all the faults should be cleared for that section.  Test by pressing the button for just over a second and 1-1-1 should be flashed back at you.


Note that this only clears the codes for that section and you will have to repeat the procedure for other sections by poking the probe into the appropriate pin.


After I had cleared all the codes, I also performed the service light reset procedure to clear the Lambda warning light.  It worked a treat!


MOT Test


So, onto the MOT.  In my previous post, I made some predictions about what the car might fail on.  Turns out I wasn't all that accurate!  Needless to say the car did fail, but that was never in question; I just wanted to see what it needed in order to get a ticket.

  • Tyres - I was convinced these were of such poor quality & tread that they would fail, but they passed!  I'm still going to change them, as I've experienced tyre blow-outs in the past and it's not an adventure I'd like to relive on the side of an Alp!
  • Lights - Turns out there were 4 lights out, although it only failed on 2 (n/s/f sidelight and the centre stop lamp) and the beam pattern is fine on the headlights.
  • Brakes - The MOT station informed me that the rear brakes were in very poor condition, but they're not actually listed as a failure.  The front brakes were fine!  I did give them some stick on the way to the test centre though, so that probably helped to clear some of the crap off.  I will replace all of the brakes for the rally, but just the rears for the purpose of passing an MOT.
  • Handbrake - This did fail, but not for efficiency.  It is binding on one side, and that's a failure.  I knew this would likely be the case, so I've ordered replacement shoes (from the good Chronicle Parts people!)
  • Emissions - With the service light reset operation, the Lambda light was out of the equation; I just had to hope the emissions test would come up clean enough.  Turns out it did - one of the cleanest MOT results I've ever seen!
That concludes the predictions but the car also failed on another, unforeseen problem - the front lower ball joints are shot.

What Next?

The rear brake parts are already in, so I'll have a bash at doing those as soon as possible.  The tyres, lights and lower ball joints I will leave for the MOT centre to do when I take it back for a retest.

Sorry the past few updates have been a bit on the dry side.  I'll hopefully have some nice, juicy brake replacement pictures for you to ogle in my next update.

Keep watching and thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. A really nice and informative blog. Thanks for sharing it. I hope it definitely help people who faces these type of problems.

    http://www.new-generation-cars.co.uk

    ReplyDelete