Sunday 11 March 2012

Introduction to Rusty Plum Racing

As this is the first entry in this blog, I suppose a bit of background is in order...


You will already have perused my profile over there --> so you will know I'm a bit of a petrolhead.  In the past few years, I have been on a few banger rallies.  For those of you who don't know what a banger rally is, it's basically an organised driving holiday with a bit of a difference.  A banger rally organiser plans a route, stop over points and various challenges to be completed en route.  The 'with a difference' bit is that there are restrictions as to the vehicle you can use to compete in the rally.  For most it's a price limit, e.g. the car must cost less than £500.  For others it's an age limit, e.g the car must be over 10 years old.


This year, I have decided to enter the Chronicle Rally.  Specifically, their inaugural 'Mountain Madness' route.  Why?  The route looks simply spectacular!  I love the Alps & all the little twisty mountain passes and Mountain Madness looks like it intends to take me over all of them in under a week!


Anyway, enough about the rally; you can look at the web site yourself if you want to know more.  The important thing is the car entry rule: it has to be registered prior to 1st August 2001.  Good, I thought, I've got one of those!


So, here's the beast:


1994 Volvo 850 2.5 GLT
So I've got the car and it qualifies.  I've handed over the £150 entrance fee and got a team number (I was lucky enough to get my preferred race number - 38 - which is the number I always use) so now what?  Well, Chronicle Rally suggests 'decorating' the car.  That's all I need to know; I've already got a plan!  What was the Volvo 850 most famous for (in the UK at any rate)?


The British Touring Car Championship (BTCC)!  Yep, that's my theme.  Hopefully it will look something like this when it's done -->


Obviously with a different number.  And a different name in the window (mine).  And different wheels, tyres, bumpers...  You get the idea, though!


Anyway, that's the intro.  I'll post more as I make progress.  Thanks for reading.


Ed.

1 comment:

  1. Cool story bro! I never heard of that kind of race. Thanks for sharing.

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete